Re: auctex indentation

From: Ralf Angeli
Subject: Re: auctex indentation
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2005 18:16:01 +0200

* Mads Jensen (2005-07-23) writes:

> I am trying to configure the auctex indenting, but that's easier
> said than done. Currently I have this in my .emacs:
>
> (setq LaTeX-item-indent 0
>       LaTeX-indentation 4)

There is no variable `LaTeX-indentation' in AUCTeX.

> But it's only LaTeX-item-indent, that works like I want, ie. indents the
> items in an environment two spaces more than the \begin{..} and \end{..}
> delimeters. How can I do the same with the commands, that are inside
> \begin{document} and \end{document} ?

Especially in multi-file LaTeX documents this doesn't make sense.
(Unless you want whitespace in front of everything which may end up
between \begin{document}..\end{document}, even if it is in a different
file.  But that's not supported by AUCTeX.)

Apart from that I'd dislike such an indentation in general.  I want
normal text to start at the beginning of a line, not after some
whitespace.  And I don't need an indication that I am in a `document'
environment because this is mostly obvious anyway.

> I tried reading the manual, which
> is how I found out about LaTeX-item-indent. I am sure it's just a matter
> of choosing the right value for LaTeX-indentation !?

In the customization group `LaTeX-indentation' (`M-x customize-group
RET LaTeX-indentation RET') you will find

,----
| LaTeX-document-regexp: [Hide Value] document
|    [State]: STANDARD.
|
| Regexp matching environments in which the indentation starts at col 0.
`----

You could set this to some value which is unlikely to be encountered
in a LaTeX document.  (If you set it to an empty string it will match
"\begin{}" which you probably don't want.)

But I don't think all this is a good idea, really.

--
Ralf