Re: global key not binding

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: global key not binding
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2005 21:48:28 +0200

Joe Corneli wrote:

  >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c b
  >    (global-set-key "\C-cb" "\C-xh\M-w") ;copy buffer C-c p
> > I get symbol function definition is void ... > > That is to be expected.

  why then this work:
  (global-set-key "\C-cl" "\C-a\C-@\C-e\M-w") ;copy ling C-c l

OK, I guess it isn't to be expected.  The question boils down to the
behavior of the function `define-key', which is what `global-set-key'
calls (without any intervening typechecking) and which _does_ allow
"strings treated as macros".  So, I have no idea.

Evaluating this works:

(execute-kbd-macro "\C-xh\M-w")

But anyway, my hint should work for you.  Maybe someone else
can say whether you found a bug or not.

I just checked in the CVS version of Emacs. It seems to work.

I saw in one of the messages "Global-set-key" instead of "global-set-key" but I guess that was just a typo?