Re: removing the echo area

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: removing the echo area
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 17:58:36 +1000

Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:

> Tim X wrote:
>> Kevin Rodgers <ihs_4664@yahoo.com> writes:
>>> Do you mean you are running your program from Emacs via `M-x term'?
>>> That should set up the terminal so that your program can query the
>>> terminal configuration and display properly.
>> I think the OPs problem is they are running it from a console rather
>> than under X.
>
> They may be running Emacs in a console, a terminal emulator, or under
> several window systems -- the OP didn't say.  But regardless, shouldn't
> `M-x term /my/program RET' do the right thing?

M-x term tries to do the best it can. However, if your running under
just a console and its using the "standard" font, which only gives you
25x80, you are restricted to that size. If the program you are trying
to run is relatively well behaved, then it will adjust to having to
run with less than 25 lines. However, if it is not and assumes a
standard 25 lines, then there is nothing M-x term can do under a
console because you are constrained by the font used in the console.

If you use a font with less size that can fit in more lines/columns,
then emacs has some room to move. Under X etc, you have this
flexibility - you can even change the font size/type interactively
etc. However, under a console, you don't have that flexability. Your
restricted by the size of the screen less the lines used by emacs. M-x
term will attempt to communicate the fact that not all 25 lines are
available, but the program being run must be able to acknowledge this
information and adjust accordingly.

>From what the OP said regarding the program having to have 25x80, I
strongly suspect the program is not "well behaved" - i.e. doesn't use
termcap/terminfo to work out what size it really has to play with.
This also means there is no way for M-x term to tell it there are only
23 lines because emacs is using some of them for minibuffer, menubar
etc.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au