Re: dvipdf vs buildt-in converter to pdf??

From: pop
Subject: Re: dvipdf vs buildt-in converter to pdf??
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 2006 08:36:04 +0200

Tim X wrote:

> "pop" <asd@asd.com> writes:
>
>> Emacs does not use 'dvipdf' when it converts dvi files to pdf.
>>
>> I prefer using 'dvipdf' because I only need to have an .eps version of
>> the images I would like to include in my .tex files.
>>
>> Why does emacs not use 'dvipdf' and is there any flaws to this converter
>> compared to the one emacs use??
>>

> Not enough information to provide a concise answer. For example, are
> you using auctex mode to create your documents?

I use auctex. If I use latex built-in 'pdflatex' I need to have my pictures
in a .pdf format. But if I just want to see the dvi output I need to have
them in .eps. So far I have had both a .pdf version and a .eps version of
the pictures and included them like:

\begin{center}
\includegraphics[width=10cm]{pic1}
\end{center}

where pic1.pdf and pic1.eps are located in the same dir as my .tex file.

But now I just found out that if I use dvipdf instead of pdflatex I don't
need to have the .pdf versions of my pictures, which saves me for a lot of
work.

Therefore I would like to know what the difference is between using 'dvipdf'
and 'pdflatex' (besides from the obvious advantage of only using .eps
files).