Re: Strange Problem with keypresses on Win32

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Strange Problem with keypresses on Win32
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 22:17:48 +0200

Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> writes:

>> From: exits funnel <exNOitsfunSPAMMYnel@yahoo.com>
>> Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 11:02:59 -0700
>>
>> > Hmm.. q for a and w for z? Sounds like your keyboard got switched to French
>> > to English or vice versa. In Windows, you can change languages (keyboards)
>> > easily, though I've forgotten the keyboard shortcut. Your task bar might
>> > indicate the current language as Fr or En.
>> [...]
>> Thanks for the reply.  I'm pretty sure that your theory isn't altogether
>> right because when I switch applications, there are no problems so the
>> issue seems to be limited to Emacs.
>
> Please note that input language is a per-application setting on
> Windows.  So, if you inadvertently switch the language while typing
> into Emacs, only Emacs will be affected.
>
>> Still, it might be a step in the
>> right direction.  One thing which makes the problem difficult to solve
>> is that I can't reproduce it, it just (seems) to occur randomly.
>
> Next time it happens look at the language indicator in your system
> tray.

Lately I caught a similar problem on XP.  Ansys WorkBench (a finite
element program) has in it's latest version big problems with
adjusting legends. I got a hint from the support hot-line to change
the input language (from German to Swiss German).  From then on my
CVS-Emacs takes trips from time to time (seemingly at will) into
Switzerland and I have to toggle the input language in the system tray
back to the German keyboard layout.  Needless to say that its not
possible to switch off this behaviour completely in the language
section in the system folder, I tried but didn't succeed.

--
    Best wishes

    Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany