Re: isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: isn't there any simple, standard way to print in windowsXP?
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:47:13 -0500

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@gnu.org> wrote in message
news:mailman.4459.1153852489.9609.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> > Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2006 04:22:17 -0700 (PDT)
> > From: minesh varmas <mineshvarmas@yahoo.com>
> >
> > it is so difficult to configure the printer on  Ms
> > windows.
>
> What is it that you want to configure, exactly?  If I understand
> correctly, the printer destination does work, i.e. the material is
> printed.  SO what is the problem?
>
> > All i want is the print dialog box to pop up and get
> > the printing done.
>
> No one has written the code to do that in Emacs.
>
> > when the shared printer is specfied
> > (setq printer-name "//alex/HPLaserJ"
> > it prints the document with much larger font without
> > any page numbers or heading.
>
> Is that a PostScript printer?  If so, you want to use "Postscript
> Print", not the ordinary print.  (Find that in the File menu.)

If it is a PostScript printer, is it NECESSARY to use postscript print
when running emacs under a version of the msw OS? I have 22.0.50 mostly
working with msw2000 but nothing from the printer (a multi-function device
whose printer component is "LPT1") Whether I set it to shared or not I see
only Spooling.... done ... and then nothing. How do I go about diagnosing
this problem?

Thanks,

Ed