Re: pasting many times

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: pasting many times
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 19:49:29 +0200

Shanks N <shanks.n@gmail.com> writes:

>>>     > kill, I use C-y M-y.
>>>

> [...]
>
>>>     And when we are at it.  I do not understand why M-y depends on C-y at
>>>     all, lets just take the second entry of kill-ring by default and third
>>>     and fourth and so on?
>>
>> Here here.
>>

> I'm curious to know why too.

I'd start M-y with the first entry of the kill-ring.  It would
probably make M-y more popular than C-y, but people might learn to
live with that.  It would probably also make sense to have C-y accept
a multiplier argument (probably more expected) while letting M-y
accept a stack pointer argument.

So if you were certain to need only the most recent kill, you'd use
C-y, and if you _might_ want a different kill, you'd use M-y.