Re: Making <C--> and other shortcuts work

From: François-Denis Gonthier
Subject: Re: Making <C--> and other shortcuts work
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 15:27:41 -0500

    Dieter> neumann@lostwebsite.net (François-Denis Gonthier) writes:
    >> in GUI emacs mode, I have C-- bound to shrink-window.  In
    >> Konsole or xterm, Emacs never receives that key binding.  Is it
    >> possible to make that keybinding work?  I have xterm-extras in
    >> my .emacs, and I'm not

    Dieter> Sorry, I've no idea whether this interferes with some
    Dieter> Control key schemes in terminals and I do not know
    Dieter> xterm-extras.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/XtermExtras

I have tried --no-site-file -q and found the same behavior.

    >> sure if there isn't an Xmodmap trick I could do.  I can still
    >> get used to another keybinding if it's not possible to

    Dieter> Is C-x ^ with a negative argument not fast enough for you?
    Dieter> Maybe C-x - could also be helpful in your situation?

C-x - is a binding I'll try to remember.

C-x ^ is definitely not fast enough.  C-- has the advantage of firing
reapeatedly when kept pressed.  I think that's is a must for things
that need quick adjustments like the size of a window.  Of course I
could always bind another key for that.  I'm just asking if there is
any way to make it work as it is.

Plus ^ is a dead key on a french-canadian keymap so it's kind of
annoying to produce. I tend to keep away from bindings that use ^ and
I'm not about to change keymap.

BTW, I need to add many bindings using Ctrl work fine.  C-- and some
others don't and I don't really understand why.