Re: Making <C--> and other shortcuts work

From: Dieter Wilhelm
Subject: Re: Making <C--> and other shortcuts work
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2006 22:55:14 +0100

neumann@lostwebsite.net (François-Denis Gonthier) writes:

> C-x ^ is definitely not fast enough.  C-- has the advantage of firing

It becomes faster when you're actually give the shortcut an
(estimated) argument:

C--20 C-x ^

will shrink the window 20 lines

> reapeatedly when kept pressed.  I think that's is a must for things

or you could do

C-- C-x ^ C-x z

and then typing

zzzzz

as often as you like.

> that need quick adjustments like the size of a window.  Of course I
> could always bind another key for that.  I'm just asking if there is
> any way to make it work as it is.
> Plus ^ is a dead key on a french-canadian keymap so it's kind of

yes, that's ugly.  I experience this behaviour on my windows machine
at work, it's annoying to type an additional SPC to get the ^-stuff
working (especially the invaluable M-^ key).

> annoying to produce. I tend to keep away from bindings that use ^ and
> I'm not about to change keymap.
>
> BTW, I need to add many bindings using Ctrl work fine.  C-- and some
> others don't and I don't really understand why.

I'm sorry I can't help you here but I'm sure there are some others on
this list. 8-)

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm