Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:00:00 +0200

On 5/2/07, Hadron <hadronquark@gmail.com> wrote:

Is there a solid reason NOT to start the server automatically if someone
starts a client?

Yes. You can read the discussions in the emacs-devel list (those that
Lennart seems to think never happened). Basically, for the client to
be able to start the server, either you put too much "inteligence" in
the client, or you have a way to clearly specify how to pass that info
from the client to the server. I'm quite sure there's a clean way to
do that, and I'm also quite sure it's not the one in EmacsW32-*, at
least the last time I took a look at it.

Also, there's another good reason NOT to start the server
automatically: there was *not enough* time during the Emacs 22
freeze/pretest to properly develop that feature (hell, we were on the
verge of simply *not* supporting emacsclient on Windows at all, and I
know that for a fact). Lennart's rolled his own, which means that
either we're forced to follow his path, even if we don't like it, or
to do an incompatible change later.

            Juanma