Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Wed, 2 May 2007 16:46:01 +0200

On 5/2/07, Lennart Borgman (gmail) <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

I just wanted something that worked now.

Yes. I think that's the main problem. There was no need to rush that.
It is nice for emacsclient to be able to start the server, but it is
not a pressing need. The alternative is a few more clicks every now
and then (not each time emacsclient is run).

I only reorganized what you wrote and added simple functions
for user feedback.

"Reorganized" is not how I would describe it, of course ;-)

I also added a switch

   --server-file FILENAME

for which I wrote "Set filename of the TCP authentication file".

You must be talking about some other thing. IIRC, I added that switch:

2006-10-31  Juanma Barranquero  <lekktu@gmail.com>

       * emacsclient.c: [...]
       (server_file): New global variable.
       (longopts): New option --server-file.
       (decode_options): Process new option --server-file and environment
       variable EMACS_SERVER_FILE.
       (print_help_and_exit): Document new option.

though I just did what Stefan asked for; it was him who designed that
feature (except the environment variable, which was useful to me).

Maybe I am missing something, but I tried to avoid compatibility
problems. My guess is that the default action will be to start the local
server just as it is started in .emacs with (server-start).

I'm not keen on rehearsing the discussion; I think there's not one
single way to start the local server. A way to pass that setup info is
needed.

            Juanma