Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 11:43:25 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:

> As I explained once before, your "distro" is potentially destructive
> too. It's not hard to imagine how it could lead to a fork of Emacs on
> Windows (not that it's *going* to happen, but it paves the way for it
> to happen).

That's the "risk" of free software ... somebody taking what you've written,
modify it (as the license permits), and release it as a modified version,
offering you (and everybody else) the patches to make your version "comply".

If you don't like those patches, well, that's your freedom.

I don't see how someone using the freedom of GPL should be accused of
being destructive, just because he does something you don't approve of.

I can fully understand why Lennart would prefer his changes to be adopted
into the core (it's no fun to maintain your "own distro"), but if you don't
want to do that (I haven't considered the actual changes), then IMO it is
fine -- and fully legal -- for him to make his own distro.

BTW, IMO, Lennart is doing a fine job of helping getting the 22.1
release out by providing (unpatched) W32 binaries for all the pretests.

--
Kim F. Storm  http://www.cua.dk