Re: EmacsW32 invocation options

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: EmacsW32 invocation options
Date: Fri, 04 May 2007 10:40:09 +0300

> From: Brian Elmegaard <brian@rkspeed-rugby.dk>
> Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 07:08:12 +0100
>
> Many windows users will not even consider running another system.

True, but many others do (or have to).  And they are not necessarily
experts.

For example, on my daytime job, there's a rumor going around that I
have something to do with Emacs.  You wouldn't believe how many such
users come to me for help, and they specifically want to have similar
environments on both platforms.  This is because we have many projects
that target multiple platforms, including Windows and GNU/Linux.

> Those experts who need to run on several systems may be able
> to do something clever with system-type in their .emacs wouldn't they?

Sure, they can.  But system-type is never mentioned in the Emacs user
manual, so it will take them quite some time to find out about it.
And it's a nuisance anyway.