sql-postgresql authentication failure

From: Sebastian P. Luque
Subject: sql-postgresql authentication failure
Date: Thu, 24 May 2007 17:04:23 -0500

Hi,

I'd like to use `sql.el' to connect to local postgresql databases.  I'm
accessing the server through my normal user account, although I've added
myself as a super user in the postgresql server.  In a shell, I can
connect to a 'test' database with:

---<---------------cut here---------------start-------------->---
$ psql test

       \h for help with SQL commands
       \? for help with psql commands
       \q to quit

test=#
---<---------------cut here---------------end---------------->---

However, when I try to do it from Emacs with `sql.el', I have:

M-x sql-postgresql

In the minibuffer:

"User: myuser"
"Database: test"
"Server: localhost"
"Password for user myuser: secret"

and the message from the server:
Password for user myuser:
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "myuser"

Process SQL exited abnormally with code 2

Password for user sluque:
psql: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "myuser"

Process SQL exited abnormally with code 2

I'm using:

,-----[ psql --version ]
| psql (PostgreSQL) 8.2.4
| contains support for command-line editing
`-----

Any ideas what might be wrong?  Thanks.

Cheers,

--