Re: emacsserver unstable?

From: Sven Bretfeld
Subject: Re: emacsserver unstable?
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 21:08:46 +0200

Hi Pete

On Tue, Jul 24, 2007 at 07:44:02PM +0200, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Can you try to minimise your user init file, ~/.emacs or such? Could
> be there is some code that causes the error you see ...

That's an idea. I will try what happens if I reduce the init file to
the necessities needed for Mutt.

> How many executables of emacsclient do you have on disk?

Only one file is found by locate:

sven@kamaloka:/usr/bin$ ls -l emacsclient.emacs-snapshot
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 11608 2007-07-01 20:05
emacsclient.emacs-snapshot

There are two softlinks pointing to this executable:

sven@kamaloka:/usr/bin$ ls -l emacsclient
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 29 2007-05-22 02:21 emacsclient ->
/etc/alternatives/emacsclient

sven@kamaloka:/etc/alternatives$ ls -l emacsclient
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 35 2007-07-04 23:17 emacsclient ->
/usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot

> Which one is found and actually executed? Can you use ps or pstree
> to exactly find out which one is running and then dying?

It can only be /usr/bin/emacsclient.emacs-snapshot. While I'm writing
this Mail in a frame created by emacsclient, ps gives:

sven@kamaloka:/usr/bin$ ps aux | grep emacsclient
sven      8666  0.0  0.0   1572   424 pts/4    S+   20:14   0:00
emacsclient /home/sven/tmp/mutt/mutt-kamaloka-1000-3486-276

which doesn't say much, I think.

> Do you have LD_LIBRARY or such environment variables set? Could be
> they have in an interactive session a different effect than in tool
> launched by so gadgetry. lsof can exactly show which shared library
> files are used in some process.

Hm. At least not in my .bashrc. I'm not familiar with libraries,
sorry. The only help I knew after Google returned unintelligible
information on LD_LIBRARY, was to search for it with apt-utils-search,
to find out that none of the resulting packages is installed on my
system.

By the way, the emacsserver seems to die only when it has no
clients. I'm sitting on this email since half an hour now. When the
server is idle, it would have given up service in the meantime.But
that was to be expected, I think.

Next thing I do, is to reduce my .emacs. I will report then.

Greetings,

Sven