Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode

From: ryofurue
Subject: Re: emacs22: lost iso-accents-mode
Date: Tue, 24 Jul 2007 16:25:02 -0700

On Jul 24, 7:59 am, dan...@bigwalter.net (Daniel Jensen) wrote:
> ryofu...@gmail.com writes:
> >   I read the "emacs" entry of info on my emacs22 and
> > found a statement that you can input European accented characters with
> > "M-x iso-accents-mode" .  Then, how can I know that iso-accents-mode
> > is obsolete?
>
> Perhaps you're using an old version of the Emacs manual? I can't find
> iso-accents-mode mentioned anywhere in the current manual or FAQ.

You are quite right!  I've just found out that I was reading the info
of emacs 21.  I was forgetting that you need to install info pages
separately on a Debian system,  because of an "issue" about
document licensing.  (Debian doesn't think the license of GNU
docs conform to the Debian's notion of freeness.)

> Assuming the NEWS file is up to date, it's in the "Obsolete and deleted
> packages" section:
>
>     iso-acc.el is now obsolete.  Use one of the latin input methods
>     instead.

Thanks.  I've confirmed that.

> To select an input method, use C-\ (toggle-input-method). I believe
> latin-1-prefix is the closest to iso-accents-mode.

Thanks again.  That works, and as you say, it's the same as
(or at least very similar to) iso-accents-mode.

Cheers,
Ryo