Re: Why emacs have not native language menu

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: Why emacs have not native language menu
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 10:00:25 +0200

Hi Reiner,

>> Another cause is that emacs has a precise terminology. To blur it
>> would be a source of confusion.
>
> Do you think the German tutorial blurs the precise terminology?

I've never read it. But after a quick overview I'd say, no. But the
tutorial is written by one person, wheras if every emacs manual was to
be translated, there would be a need for quite a few more translators.
And the bigger the group, the less are the chances to keep terminology
precise and consistent.

But what is this English warning talking about? Here, with `emacs -Q'
`C-x C-b' is still bound to `list-buffers'.

,----
`----

> I agree that a mixture is bad.  But complete translations of manuals
> would be fine, I think.

Yes, for manuals I agree somewhat, but as others mentioned: Only the
original English manual is the definitive guide.

But translations could be useful for poeple, anyway.

>> Gretchen Müller won't fetch her mail with Gnus anyway, even though it
>> was localized.
>
> There are several people in de.comm.software.gnus who say that they
> often have difficulties to understand Gnus manuals.

The Gnus manual is quite special, because Lars wrote it in a very
entertaining style. Maybe it's a bit harder to read and less precise
than the usual emacs documentation.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
My work on  free software is motivated by  an idealistic goal: spreading
freedom and  cooperation. I want  to encourage free software  to spread,