Re: Can't open R in Emacs

From: Hosley
Subject: Re: Can't open R in Emacs
Date: Sat, 04 Aug 2007 14:15:16 -0700

On Aug 4, 10:43 am, Marc Schwartz <marc_schwa...@comcast.net> wrote:
> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyba...@Web.DE> writes:
> > Am 04.08.2007 um 00:30 schrieb Hosley:
>
> >> I can open R by clicking on my desktop "R 2.5.0" icon, or by opening
> >> from "C:\Program Files\R\R-2.5.0\bin\Rgui.exe"
>
> > You certainly won't be running R's GUI in GNU Emacs, you'll need to
> > find the "simple" command line oriented utility, R.exe or such. The
> > Swedish URL you provided mentions C:\tools\bin\ to contain R.
>
> No.  The 'tools' directory is for other purposes, such as compiling R from
> source
> and/or creating add-on packages.
>
> In this case, the terminal based executable on Windows, as per the link I
> provided is called 'Rterm.exe'.
>
> Note also that the full path to the application, which on Windows has a space
> in it, needs to use the '~1' contraction. So for R 2.5.1 it should be
> something
> like:
>
>   (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/Rterm.exe")
>
> if you are going to use that approach in .emacs. Again, that is described in
> the
> aforementioned ESS manual.
>
> HTH,
>
> Marc

I want to alter the default in emacs, so I guess I want to create/
modify an initialization file (.emacs) with the command you've
provided above. I read the ESS manual and other stuff online, but I'm
still clueless! Where am I supposed to find or put this .emacs file?
Do I just create one in C:\devel\emacs\lisp by creating a text file,
typing in (setq inferior-R-program-name "C:/progra~1/R/R-2.5.1/bin/
Rterm.exe"), saving, then changing the format to .emacs? I know
literally nothing about command line programming, and much of this
manual is beyond my understanding.

Thanks again,
Hos