Re: Emacs not receiving C-M-right from keyboard

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs not receiving C-M-right from keyboard
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 11:22:49 +1000

> I have a new Dell Latitude D620 laptop. I have everything, including Emacs,
> installed identically to the way I had it on my old machine. However, the
> key sequences `C-M-right', `C-M-left', `C-M-up', and `C-M-down' are
> apparently not being sent to Emacs from the keyboard of the new machine.
>
> In emacs -Q (it doesn't matter which Emacs version), `C-h k' followed by
> using `C-M-right' still waits for me to hit a key - the `C-M-right' is not
> seen by Emacs at all. Opening a dribble file shows the same thing:
> `C-M-right' key sequences are not recorded.
>
> I've looked through the Emacs doc. I've tried to google for something about
> this, but I haven't found anything. Anyone know what's going on and how to
> fix it? Thanks.

Are you running under X? If so, what window manager are you using?

I'm wondering if it is either a modmap issue or if your window manager
might be stealing the keys and not passing them on to emacs. If your
running under X, are you running from within an XTerm or 'native' X
Toolkit/GTK? as I've seen xterms have similar issues as well.

The fact the keystrokes are not showing up in a dribble file makes me think
they are not getting passed to emacs at all and therefore the problem isn't
actually emacs.

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au