Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: doc-view.el --- View PDF/PostStript/DVI files in Emacs
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:34:01 +0200

Bill Clementson <billclem@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Bill,

>> This does not look right. The well-known scroll-up and scroll-down
>> move an object in a window. A window is a view to some object. With
>> doc-view the object is the PNG representation of a page in PDF.
>> Scroll-up and scroll-down move the view over the picture. Some next-
>> or previous-thingy is right for changing the object in the view – or
>> turning the page.
>
> I'm not sure whether you're agreeing with me or Tassilo.
>
> My suggested bindings were:
> C-n/C-p = scroll image
> C-v/M-v = scroll to next/previous PDF page
>
> Tassilo's bindings are:
> C-n/M-p = scroll to next/previous PDF page
> C-v/M-v = scroll image
>
> I can see that Tassilo might want to keep his bindings as he also has
> the characters "n" and "p" bound to the "next/previous PDF page"
> functions; however, I think that (if he keeps the existing bindings)
> the "M-p" binding should be changed to "C-p".

The current bindings (in git) are

C-n/C-p = scroll to next/previous PDF page
C-v/M-v = scroll image

I do see that reversing those would make sense, too, but I prefer
sticking with the current bindings because that's the usual key-function
assignment.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
Chuck Norris doesnt wear a watch, HE decides what time it is.