Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:08:16 +1000

"Andrea Vettorello" <andrea.vettorello@gmail.com> writes:

> On 9/8/07, Dave Pawson <dave.pawson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> Not too helpful.
>>
>> Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
>>   What window system should Emacs use?                    none
>>   What toolkit should Emacs use?                          none
>>   Where do we find X Windows header files?                NONE
>>   Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   NONE
>>   Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
>>   Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
>>   Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
>>   Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
>>   Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
>>   Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
>>   Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no
>>
>> I guess I need to translate these into something that Ubuntu understands.
>> Back to google.
>>

> As an hint, look at the "Build-Depends:" line of the
> "emacs22_22.1+1-2.dsc" file you can find at
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/emacs22 (Ubuntu uses Debian as
> upstream), you probably dont' need all the packages listed, as at
> least a couple are for package creation, not Emacs dependencies
> (quilt, imagemagick, sharutils).
>
> If you download the three files (original, dsc, and diff), you could
> use the Debian (Ubuntu should use the same) "dpkg-dev" tools to build
> a deb package (dpkg-buildpackage)...

While this is all correct and sound advice, I doubt it will be useful for
Dave as it will require understanding that would appear to be way past his
level at present (this is not meant to be a harsh or negative criticism).

What I think he really needs to do is READ the README, INSTALL and
INSTALL-CVS files that come with the sources. All the information,
explination and directions he needs are in these files. In particular, the
INSTALL file contains details of what libraries are required, the options
that can be passed to configure (but don't use them unless you need to!),
names of libraries and urls to get the sources (though you won't need to
build from sources, they are all available as deb packages). explination of
the different X lib support and GTK. Essentially, all the information
required, plus some backgroudn information to help interpret output from
things like configure.

Also, don't overlook the INSTALL-CVS file if your building from CVS - the
file is there for a reason and contains important information and
additional steps that need to be followed when building from CVS rather
than a packaged tar ball.

HTH

Tim

P.S. While David K's response may appear to be a bit harsh, I can fully
understand where he is coming from. All of the questions the OP has asked
have been ones easily answered by reading the docs provided. If someone is
going to build from sources rather than use a deb package, they really
should do some basic work before charging off and sending questions to the
NG and googling for quick fixes. Google is likely to be very misleading as
its information is likely to be outdated compared to what is actually
provided in the src. some people can become very frustrated when they see a
series of questions, all of which are in the docs and it is obvious the
user has not read them. Personally, that doesn't bother me too much, I just
ignore anything that doesn't warrant a reply or whatever. However, I think
people should be prepared to get a terse RTFM type response if they haven't
at least read the install docs. I've even seen responses that are
deliberately wrong (I saw one once that would have deleted all the files in
the users home dir if the instructions had been followed blindly, something
I think is way too harsh).

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au