Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:23:03 +1000

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

> On 08/09/2007, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:
>>
>> Am 08.09.2007 um 12:54 schrieb Dave Pawson:
>>
>> > I guess I need to translate these into something that Ubuntu
>> > understands.
>> > Back to google.
>>
>> Ahh, really? Isn't it obvious that the libraries Xaw3d, Xpm, jpeg,
>> tiff, ungif, and png are missing and also all X11 libraries and C
>> header files?
>

> To be honest Pete no. At least not for me.
>
> Browsing, I found libX11-6 (already installed)
> Xaw3d translates into Found: xaw3dg, xaw3dg-dev, freeciv-client-xaw3d
> Xpm translates into Found: libgdchart-gd2-noxpm,
> libgdchart-gd2-noxpm-dev, libxpm-dev, libxpm4, libxpm4-dbg (and 19
> others)
> jpeg. Found: libjpeg-progs, libjpeg62, libjpeg62-dev,
> avifile-mjpeg-plugin, cl-jpeg (and 9 others)
> tiff. Found: libtiff-tools, libtiff4, libtiff4-dev, libtiffxx0c2,
> kdc2tiff (and 1 others)
> ungif. Found: libungif4-dev, libungif4g, libungif-bin
> png. Found: netpbm, cl-png, dvipng, gif2png, libclan2c2a-png (and 19 others)
>
> C header files?
> Perhaps
> <quote>
> In order to compile C/C++ programs using Ubuntu you need to have the
> build-essential package installed.
>
> sudo apt-get -y install build-essential
> </quote>
>
> Sounds good.
>
> As for choosing between the others? Beyond me Peter.
>
> I guess I'll stick with 21.4, or start the whole nausea again and revert to
> FC7.
>
> Thanks for the help though.
> Your input is appreciated.

Dave, if your choice is either build from sources or revert back to emacs
21, my question would be why not use the available emacs 22 debian package
and save yourself the headaches?  I think the emacs22 deb package is still
part of the 'unstable' branch of debian - not sure what the situation is
with ubuntu as I don't run it. However, it is quite possible to run a basic
'testing' distro with some packages from 'unstable'. All you need to do is
ensure your apt config specifies a preference for testing over unstable (I
think it does this anyway, but check the docs).

If the answer is you want the latest emacs 23 version because of things
merged back into the main branch since emacs 22.1 was released then check
the INSTALL file. There is a section explaining the need to install both
the lib and lib*-dev packages, a section on the libraries for image support
(many of those ones you didn't recognise in the output from configure) and
what is required for X or GTK support - its all there. Note that the file
is structured to give a biref summary first and then goes into more detail
as you work down, so read the whole thing, not just the first part.

Also note that switching to another distro won't help - you have the same
issues on nearly all GNU Linux distros. Most distros only install the stuff
required to run programs, not the stuff required to build them. Its assumed
that anyone who is building software will know which development libraries
they need to install. Last time I used RedHat, they also used the libxyz
and libxyz-dev type convention with their RPMs. This is not a ubuntu or
debian specific issue (though package names can vary slightly).

Tim

--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au