Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Building 22.1, on Ubuntu
Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:26:52 +0200

"Dave Pawson" <dave.pawson@gmail.com> writes:

> On 09/09/2007, Tim X <timx@nospam.dev.null> wrote:
>
>> While this is all correct and sound advice, I doubt it will be useful for
>> Dave as it will require understanding that would appear to be way past his
>> level at present (this is not meant to be a harsh or negative criticism).
>
> Quite true.
> I've used ./configure; make install before, but if it failed, the package
> wasn't installed. Period.
> Just that emacs is worth the effort.

Why don't you enable feisty-backports in your /etc/apt/sources.list,
do
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install emacs22-gtk
(or what the package name is)

and be done with it?  Why the insistence on compiling everything
yourself?

> For the same reason it doesn't work from source Tim. Ubuntu
> seemingly must fit on a single CD, so the packages that I need to
> run http://packages.ubuntu.com/feisty-backports/editors/emacs22 are
> quite likely the same. I tried it... and it failed.

Huh?  apt-get (or the graphical frontends) will fetch and install all
requirements, too.

I really don't understand why you think you have to compile Emacs
yourself.  It really sounds like you would be much better served with
learning your steps around your operating system's package system
rather than around Emacs compilation.