Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Tom Horsley
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:17:26 -0500

On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 11:22:15 -0700, Bruce Korb wrote:

> OK.  I've vented now.  Would someone please be kind enough to tell me
> how to shut down the novice stuff completely?  Thank you.

I have similar problems every emacs release. I can see an argument
for making spiffy new features the default (else no one will notice
them), but when one user finds a new helpful feature to be annoying
rather than helpful, it would sure be nice if there were a standard
way to get back the old behavior.

I've always wished each emacs release would come with a doc file
mentioning each new feature and giving the lisp code to add to
your .emacs file to put it back the way it was in the previous
release. (Of course even that might not help much if the new
behavior is merely some annoying visual, you may not know the
correct jargon to search for in the file to figure out how to
turn it off, but you could always try each snippet of lisp
till you find the one that does the trick :-).