Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 23:24:37 +0200

> From: Emre Sahin <iesahin@bilkent.edu.tr>
> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:06:19 +0300

>     Eli> It looks like your keywords should have picked the variable,
>     Eli> because its name contains both "mail" and "display".  Can you
>     Eli> try to elaborate why you didn't find it, and what commands
>     Eli> did you use to search?
>
> C-h d of "display" gives about 10000 lines of text and this doesn't
> report "display-time-mail-string" as a variable. C-h d of "mail" is
> about 2700 lines of text and this doesn't contain it either.

I just tried "M-x apropos RET mail display notification RET" (all 3
words were cited by you in your original message) and got 140 lines
with display-time-mail-string quite close to the beginning.  Perhaps
you should use "M-x apropos" with a list of pertinent words more
frequently?

>     Eli> In any case, personally, if a few search commands don't give
>     Eli> me what I want, I simply look in the sources of the relevant
>     Eli> package.  I find this very efficient, since some
>     Eli> variables/functions are simply too obscure to be in the docs.
>
> You are right here, but time.el package was not a candidate for
> reading in the first sight, I don't expect mail notification in my
> mode line has anything to do with time.

??? You mean, you didn't know that both time and the mail notification
are produced by "M-x display-time RET"?  That is, you turned on this
feature in your .emacs without knowing what you are doing?  How did
that happen?