Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: My emacs was upgraded and I am a novice again
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 11:02:10 +0200

> From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
> Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 14:46:49 -0700
>
> > >  M-x icicle-doc RET mail S-SPC mode line
> > >
> > > shows all doc strings that match both `mail' and `mode line',
> > > in any order, as completion candidates.
> >
> > So does "M-x apropos", which is part of Emacs.
>
> Not at all the same (`apropos' does not even use completion, of any kind).
> Likewise all the other vanilla Emacs `apropos-*' commands. Read the rest of
> the behavior I described (no need to repeat it). If you still don't
> understand the difference, read the doc I pointed to. There is no relation
> here to what you get in vanilla Emacs.

I thought we were talking about searching the doc, not about
completion.  If completion makes a big difference, how about adding
this feature to Emacs?

> Had vanilla Emacs been able to do what I described (or equivalent, with
> equivalent ease), I would have pointed to vanilla Emacs.

IMO, we ridicule ourselves if we send users to unbundled packages for
documentation commands, especially when the user, like the OP, wants
to locate a feature that is part of the official package.  Emacs is a
self-documenting program, so every useful feature related to
documentation should be an integral part of it.