reading mail from gmail account with gnus in Emacs22

From: Alexandru Cardaniuc
Subject: reading mail from gmail account with gnus in Emacs22
Date: Sat, 3 Nov 2007 21:57:20 -0700

Hi All!

Does anybody here use gnus from Emacs22 to read mail from gmail
account? I managed to make it work with Emacs21. Recently I tried
Emacs22 and my old config from Emacs21 doesn't work. I get some errors
when fetching from gmail with pop.

Did anybody here manage to make gnus in Emacs22 work with gmail? Any
hints on the configuration of .gnus ?

That's the setup that works fine for Emacs21 but doesn't work for
Emacs22:

(setq user-full-name "Alexandru Cardaniuc")
(setq user-mail-address "whatever@gmail.com")

;; using GNUS to send mail
(setq message-send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

(setq send-mail-function 'smtpmail-send-it)

;; use 'one file per mail' back end
(setq gnus-select-method '(nnml ""))
(setq gnus-secondary-select-methods nil)

;; tell Gnus how to fetch mail
(setq mail-sources '((file :path "/var/spool/mail/alexandru")
                     (pop :server "pop.gmail.com"
                           :port 995
                           :user "whatever@gmail.com"
                           :connection ssl
                           :password "secret"
                           :leave t))) ; leave the mail on the server

(load-library "smtpmail")
(load-library "pop3")
(load-library "starttls")

;(setq pop3-debug t)

(setq smtpmail-local-domain nil)

;(setq smtpmail-debug-info t) ; only to debug problems

(setq smtpmail-auth-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 25
"whatever@gmail.com" "secret")))
(setq smtpmail-starttls-credentials '(("smtp.gmail.com" 25 nil nil)))
(setq smtpmail-smtp-service "25")

Sincerely yours,
Alexandru Cardaniuc