Re: first emacs lisp script: hello world

From: Eric Hanchrow
Subject: Re: first emacs lisp script: hello world
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 09:29:31 -0800

    Stewart> All right..  Here comes the new guy.  I downloaded emacs,
    Stewart> but I can not figure out how to create a hello world
    Stewart> script and run it.  I know this is incredibly basic, but
    Stewart> when you are doing this stuff by yourself it is not
    Stewart> always obvious.  Can someone point the way?

Depends what you mean by "script".  If you mean a standalone program
that you can invoke from the operating-system shell, then ... even if
it's theoretically possible to do that, I don't think you want to.
Ugh.  But if, on the other hand, you just mean "a function I can
invoke from within Emacs that displays \"hello world\" somewhere",
there are lots of ways.  Take a look at "An Introduction to
Programming in Emacs Lisp", specifically the node named "1.2 Run a
Program".  If you're reading this message in Emacs 22 at this very
minute, you can easily view that node by putting your cursor at the
end of the following Lisp expression, and typing C-x C-e:

       (info "(eintr)Run a Program")

--
... advocating Object-Oriented Programming is like advocating
Pants-Oriented Clothing.