Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian

From: Sven Joachim
Subject: Re: Load path and custom compiling cvs on Debian
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2007 15:47:57 +0100

On 2007-12-17 10:05 +0100, Tim X wrote:

> There are a number of things you need to do to get a CVS build of emacs
> work with debian managed elisp packages. The debian version of emacs 22 is
> modified to handle this and you will need to do the same sort of
> modifications to make this work with your CVS version.
>
> The best way to do this is grep the files in the lisp directory of the
> debian version of emacs 22 for the string 'debian' (make it case
> insensitive).

Not really.  The best way to do this is to download and unpack the
Debian emacs22 source package, e.g. with "apt-get source emacs22".
There you can find all the patches in the debian/patches subdirectory.

> I can't remember all the files that are modified, but it does include
> startup.el and I think paths.el and possibly some others.
>
> You will also need to make the site-lisp of the installed CVS version
> (i.e. probably /usr/local/share/emacs/23.x/site-lisp a symbolic link to
> /usr/share/emacs22/site-lisp.

Could you elaborate on that?  The Debian packaged Emacsen look for site-lisp
directories both under /usr/share and under /usr/local/share.

> Note also that when emacs is built, aI think it dumps an image of itself to
> speedup startup. This means you cannot just modify startup.el and have it
> work. You need to modify it and then build emacs.

Correct.

> At one stage there were some emacs22 snapshot packages being done - maybe
> google to see if you can find someone else who has done all the hard work

Snapshots of the Emacs trunk are still built weekly by Romain Francoise,
see http://emacs.orebokech.com/.  That's probably the best starting
point for building a debianized unicode-2 Emacs.

Sven