Re: speedbar: how can I open a file with the keyboard ?

From: Stephen Berman
Subject: Re: speedbar: how can I open a file with the keyboard ?
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 14:14:52 +0100

On 19 Dec 2007 10:13:10 GMT Markus Grunwald <markus.grunwald@gmx.de> wrote:

> When I start speedbar, this is what I get in the *messages*:

> Type C-h for help, h for commands, q to quit.
> ==================== speedbar-mode-hook start ====================
> ==================== speedbar-mode-hook end ====================
> ==================== speedbar-reconfigure-keymaps-hook start
> ====================
> ==================== speedbar-reconfigure-keymaps-hook end
> ====================
> ==================== speedbar-reconfigure-keymaps-hook start
> ====================
> ==================== speedbar-reconfigure-keymaps-hook end
> ====================
>

> So the hooks are called. What's with my keys ? I call C-h c g and C-h c
> space from the speedbar buffer:
>
> g runs the command View-goto-line
> SPC runs the command View-scroll-page-forward
>
> ARGH. I have no Idea, why speedbar behaves so differently compared to all
> the other modes I have customized...

The messages show the view library being loaded after speedbar, perhaps
something there is overriding your key bindings.  Does this happen with
emacs -q --no-site-file ?  If not, then something in your or your site's
initializations is responsible.  In any case, I second Nick Roberts'
advice to update to Emacs 22.1 and use its speedbar, which should solve
this issue if it is not due to your initializations.

Steve Berman