Re: image-dired shows images as text

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: image-dired shows images as text
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 17:53:21 +1300

 > The very good news is that I have got it to work by changing "path" to have
 > ImageMagick as the first member of the list and by changing the values you
 > mention to the default "convert" or "convert.exe". I finally have the
 > thumbnails displaying in a seperate window (!) The only function that I
 > don't understand is "image-dired-dired-display-external" - display in
 > external viewer, which does not seem to do anything when I select a
 > thumbnail before invoking it. I think that this workaround/solution might
 > have helped the OP possibly as well if he is still reading this thread. The
 > other advantage of changing "PATH" is that in a command prompt window the
 > ImageMagick command line "convert" program works as it should.

I'm glad it works.  The disadvantage of putting ImageMagick first in your path
is that there may be another clash of filenames when you actually mean to use a
Windows program.

What value do you have for image-dired-external-viewer? I have
"/usr/bin/display" which evidently is another program from ImageMagick.
This means that using my approach of using the absolute filename would
require customising image-dired-external-viewer as well as
image-dired-cmd-create-thumbnail-program, and there may be other programs too.
Perhaps an option image-dired-program-directory would be better.