Re: Emacs and Gud

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Emacs and Gud
Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2008 00:01:46 +1300

 > I have recently started using Emacs for my C++ project, and have got ECB
 > working so that I can browse my code easily.

You don't say what system you are using (M-x emacs-version, or better still use
M-x report-emacs-bug)

 > One thing that is not working properly is Gud. I gan start gdb, and I get
 > standard text debugging, but none of the graphical features (eg breakpoints
 > in the fringe).  I did a bit of Googling

Before Googling, it would be a good idea to read the Emacs manual.  Assuming
that you have Emacs 22.1 there is a whole section for the GDB Graphical
Interface.

 >                                          and on the basis of that setup the
 > following (via the 'options' menu):-

I guess you mean customize.

 > (gdb-many-windows t)
 > (gdb-show-main t)

but if you have set these directly in you .emacs file you'll need:

(setq gdb-many-windows t)
(setq gdb-show-main t)

In any case you should still get breakpoints in the fringe.

 > However, graphical debugging is still not working. Can anyone help?

What does t say in the mini-buffer when you do "M-x gdb"?

PS GDB isn't very good for C++ but it's getting better.  It might be worth
getting 6.8 when it comes out early this year.