Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.

From: DaLoverhino
Subject: Re: Starting emacs in ediff mode.
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 12:58:02 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 25, 11:48 am, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:55:20 +0100
> > From: "Lennart Borgman (gmail)" <lennart.borg...@gmail.com>
> > CC: help-gnu-em...@gnu.org
>
> > - File names given need not be absolute.
> > - You can not give use \ in the file names.
> > - Be nice, do not put env variables in the users environment
>
> Which of these problems are relevant to the simple invocation of Emacs
> that I suggested:
>
> > >    emacs --eval "(ediff-files \"file_1\" \"file_2\")"
>
> As for this one:
>
> > - Emacs client is used.
>
> I don't see how is this relevant to the OP's question: if they already
> have Emacs running, they could simply invoke Ediff from within that
> Emacs session.  And if Emacs is not running, what's the advantage of
> using emacsclient?

You guys are too smart for me.  I can't follow your arguments.  :)

But if this helps, the reason why I wanted to know how to start emacs
in ediff mode is so that I can use it with svn (revision source
control.)  svn's diff program isn't very good.  However, svn allows
you to fire up your own diff program to do the diffs.

svn has a graphical version which I hear is more user friendly.
However, making a long story short, I can't effectively control what
software gets installed on my devbox.  So that's why I was hoping to
use emacs for my diff program.