Re: Anything.el for Windows

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: Anything.el for Windows
Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2008 16:49:39 +0100

Hi Tassilo,

>> delayed-sources = ((name . Tracker Search) (name . Locate))
>>
>> But I never saw any "Locate" results...
>
> Ok, but at least the locate source should be processed.

I don't think so, as I only see this in my `*Messages*' buffer:

anything-process-source
Checking for library `filladapt'... Found
Composing main Info directory...done

while I still have a debug message inserted (as you told me
yesterday) in my `anything-c-source-locate':

(defvar anything-c-source-locate
  '((name . "Locate")
    (candidates . (lambda ()
                    (message "!!!anything-c-source-locate gets called!!!")
                    (apply 'start-process "locate-process" nil
                           (append anything-c-locate-options
                                   (list anything-pattern)))))
    (type . file)
    (requires-pattern . 3)
    (delayed))
  "Source for retrieving files matching the current input pattern
with locate.")

To be clear, I see the message "!!!anything-c-source-locate gets
called!!!" when invoking `anything' in my Ubuntu Emacs, but
never ever ('till now) when invoking it from my Windows Emacs.

    Note - There is no difference regarding the load libraries
    and the Emacs customizations between my Ubuntu and my
    Windows environments: Windows is running as a VM on top of
    Ubuntu (launching it only when really needed), and all my
    Emacs files (dot-emacs, loaded libraries, and so on) are
    taken from the same directories (via the "shared folders" of
    VirtualBox). I mean: I don't have 2 `.emacs' files or
    whatever. Everything is shared between my 2 OSes.

> Please eval the following defun and invoke anything. Then go
> to *Messages* and see if there's an error message of the form
>
>   Error processing source: ...
>
> (defun anything-process-source (source)
>   "Display matches from SOURCE according to its settings."
>   [...])

As you saw above, no, I don't have such a message under Windows.

> BTW: Do other sources that return files work for you, i.e. the
> file name history source? If not, then the problem might be
> that a candidate transformer for files doesn't work on
> windows.

Yes, I do have the "File Name History" source working in
Windows.

I'm really to sorry to annoy you with all this...

Seb

--
Sébastien Vauban