Re: Emacs manual URL citations for use in mail

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: Emacs manual URL citations for use in mail
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 20:04:46 +0200

On Fri, Jun 13 2008, reader@newsguy.com wrote:

> Reiner, thanks.. lots of info there... sorry to be so dense but I'm
> still not getting how these urls are generated.

[ Internally, they are constructed using the values of
`Info-current-file' and `Info-current-node' in the info mode buffer. ]

> Is it only done manually? That is, one simply types out the url
> (info "(file)node") By reading the top of an info page?
>
> Trying a few of those using something like:
>     M-x rs-info-insert-current-node

The doc string says "Insert reference to current Info node [...] in
buffer".  Inserting something in info mode should just signal an error
("Buffer is read-only").  The typical use case is:

- Navigate to the manual node in question

- Go (back) to the other buffer (mail buffer, ...) where you want to
  place the reference.

- Do `M-x rs-info-insert-current-node RET'

> or
>     M-x rs-info-goto-node-string
> Just shows no-match while inside info.

`rs-info-goto-node-string' is a variable, not a command.

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,
      (o o)