Re: Search for selected tex

From: Lennart Borgman (gmail)
Subject: Re: Search for selected tex
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2008 18:45:07 +0200

Lorenzo Isella wrote:
Dear All,
I would like to be able to select some text with C-space and then look for it inside the buffer.
I found some functions online which I modified to get:

;; a function to search the selected text

(defun my-search-forward (begin end)
 (interactive (list (point) (mark)))
 (let ((text (filter-buffer-substring begin end nil t)))
   (goto-char (max begin end))
   (let ((found-pos (search-forward text nil t)))
     (if (not found-pos)
         (progn
           (goto-char begin)
           (error "not found"))
         (progn
           (goto-char found-pos)
           (set-mark (- found-pos (length text))))))))

(define-key global-map [(control q )] 'my-search-forward)

It is almost there but not yet...
If I highlight some text, I can look for it with C-q, but once at the end of the buffer, it stops searching (whereas I would like it to search from the beginning of the buffer). If then I move to the beginning of the buffer, not everything above my last position is selected, but also the function loses memory of what I was looking for... Anybody can give me some help? Apologies if there is already and emacs command for that, but my online search was not fruitful.
Cheers

There is some code for similar wishes in

  http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchAtPoint