Re: about load paths

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: Re: about load paths
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 20:12:49 +0530

On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 8:04 PM, Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@web.de> wrote:

Am 19.06.2008 um 14:52 schrieb Rustom Mody:

That is to say I have to manually put
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d")
in the init.el or else other files there are not found

This seems to defeat the purpose of the emacs.d directory no??

No, it does not. GNu Emacs finds there its GTK resource file. When you look up the variable load-path this element is not mentioned.

Different from this is the initial behaviour to look for an init.el file in ~/.emacs.d. This one is found. If it loads other ELisp files, then these have to be in load-path.
Sorry I dont understand...

Different from what?
This element -- which?
GTK Resource file -- Whats that? (On WIndows?)

Please tell me if theres something (other than the emacs manual) I should read