about load paths

From: Rustom Mody
Subject: about load paths
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 18:22:03 +0530

As I understand it, if one has a simple customization file it should be put into
~/.emacs.  But if there are a lot of customizaitons in many files, it is recommended to ...
-- put them in ~/.emacs.d
-- put a starting init.el in there which loads anything else /does anything else

But when I tried moving from .emacs file to a .emacs.d directory containing an init and other files, the other files are not found.

That is to say I have to manually put
(add-to-list 'load-path "~/.emacs.d")
in the init.el or else other files there are not found

This seems to defeat the purpose of the emacs.d directory no??

Note: I am sitting on a windows box right now. I dont exactly remember the behavior on linux but I guess it was more sane.