Re: Binding C-a to select all

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Binding C-a to select all
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 22:19:04 -0500

Davin Pearson wrote:
I am using Emacs to teach computer programming to computer novices and
therefore I need to modify Emacs to make it more like a standard
Windows application.

I have downloaded cua.el to implement certain windows keybindings but
cua.el doesn't bind C-a to select all, a feature which I would like.

Could someone present me with some Elisp code that provides this
feature?

Evaluate this form with C-x C-e or put it in .emacs:

(define-key global-map [(control a)] 'mark-whole-buffer)

But I advise against it. C-a C-e M-a and M-e work together mnemonically if you think of a and e as Anfang and Ende (German beginning and end). Making the change you suggest disturbs this symmetry among related commands. Using Dvorak layout and Keytweak on w2000 I have needed to change only about half a dozen Emacs bindings (4 of them for single character cursor movement via keys close to home row and so as to avoid the arrow keys). This layout enables me to type ALL commands as easily as I can type a shifted number key.

Ed