Re: basic question: going back to dired

From: p.daniels
Subject: Re: basic question: going back to dired
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 21:48:38 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 22, 6:03 pm, "Juanma Barranquero" <lek...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 18:58, Bastien Guerry <b...@altern.org> wrote:
> > How many users are complaining about the fact that it's not easy to open
> > and close a file with Emacs?  As long as this is not a *major* problem,
> > let's not consider whether it's good or not to change Emacs terminology.
>
> I don't see the relevance of that question (my fault, I'm sure). I was
> under the impression that the relevant question would be: "how much
> difficult is for beginners to learn Emacs when they read about buffers
> and frames and keybindings, instead of X and Y and Z?" [where X, Y and
> Z are suitable terms commonly used in other environments]

Hi there, long time listener first time caller here. I guess I would
still call myself a beginner with emacs; I've been using it <2 years,
and I'm certainly not a programmer, I use it for text (as in prose)
work, sometimes I putz around in dired. Noob, right. Now, honestly the
main reason that I use emacs is as a sort of "learning to learn"
exercise; I use it _because_ it makes me