Re: (emacs+unix): How to have a file-name containing slashes, angle-bra

From: Xah
Subject: Re: (emacs+unix): How to have a file-name containing slashes, angle-brackets, etc?
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 19:23:20 -0700 (PDT)

2008-08-28

On Aug 28, 6:29 am, Nikolaj Schumacher <m...@nschum.de> wrote:
> Xah<xah...@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> I find that very offensive.  I have talked about nothing but facts
> >> and have intentionally left my personal opinions on unix out of it.
>
> > Very true. But i find your critical thinking abilities, as exposed in
> > your writings, comparatively low. Therefore, i find it a good gesture
> > to give you honest advice.
>
> The last time I remember someone giving you advice, you answered:
> "Can you keep to topic instead giving me extraneous advice?"
>
> If you have any facts to add, I'll listen.  I'm not interested in taking
> this discussion to a different level.

There's the problem of knowledge gap among arguers in newsgroups.

suppose you are a unix historian or have 10 years of unix experience
in the industry. You made a opinion, then some kiddie who just hopped
onto the linux bandwagon thinks he knows about unix better, and
repeated and insistently to “correct your mistake, so that others
wouldn't get their facts wrong”.

What u gonna do?

Are you gonna, spend several hours, to supply “facts” and reasons as
the kiddie demands, so that the linux kiddie can possibly be satisfied
that you are right?

So, what would a good society solve the knowledge gap problem in
online forums? Should we demand that each poster, when in argument,
supply credentials, and we take measures to verify it? So, what would
a good society solve this?

I tell you, in general, this problem solved is in well educated
society, by the general good learning of respect and modesty. In Asian
cultures, this is taken to a higher level such that the youngsters
shouldn't even open their mouths.

If u have a opinion and think other's incorrect, state your opinion
and supply facts as much as you can, and leave it at that. Don't take
the haughty tone of “i'm here to correct your errors for posterity”.
The readers, can judge for themselves on what's correct.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/