Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell

From: Francis Moreau
Subject: Re: What I'm missing when using M-x shell
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 10:42:58 +0200

Hello.

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 9:32 AM, Jonathan Groll <lists@groll.co.za> wrote:

> On the subject of GNU screen and emacs: Bill Clementson wrote a good
> entry on using emacsclient and screen -
> http://bc.tech.coop/blog/071001.html

Thanks !

That was interesting.

I actually had a similar concern but come up with a different solution.
I use desktop in my main projects directory and in my home directory.
When starting emacs in one of those directories, I start an emacs server
whose name is exported through a environment variable. This variable
has a different value depending on the desktop I used.

After that in my bashrc I do:

export EDITOR="emacsclient -s $EMACS_SERVER_NAME"

and that's it. Each time I start a term in emacs and start an application
that uses EDITOR, it start an emacsclient in the ritght emacs desktop.

But I agree this solution works only inside an emacs term unlike the
solution you pointed out. But that's my first step in "do it all in emacs !"

;)

And as the author said with emacs tty-muti-support, this is now useless.

> Regarding mutt with emacs, there is a page on the emacswiki you may
> want to read:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/emacs-en/MuttInEmacs
>
> It may also possibly be necessary to adjust the colour scheme used in
> .muttrc:
> http://www.mail-archive.com/mutt-users@mutt.org/msg21810.html
>
> Personally, I have been using gnu-screen with an emacs server running
> in one window and mutt in another window, based on what Bill
> Clementson wrote.

Thanks again but I'm planning to get rid of mutt and to use either gnus or
mh-e. I need to test both of them first to get an opinion.

--
Francis