Reversing lines chunks at a time

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Reversing lines chunks at a time
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 10:07:57 +0100

Hi,

I have the following sort of transformation that I have to do fairly
often. For example, when writing LaTeX code, I might have a line in
maths mode which looks like

  G_*[n] = G_* \times \Delta^n

(this defines the left hand side to be the Cartesian product of a G with
a star and a capital delta with a superscript n, for those reading who
aren't au fait with LaTeX). Anyway, suppose I wanted the product the
other way round:

  G_*[n] = \Delta^n \times G_*

I'm using Auctex, which is pretty brilliant, but it's syntax table
breaks at quite a few characters other than whitespace for word
boundaries. I don't particularly want to change that: it seems
reasonable, but it means that the transpose-* commands don't really help
in this case: you end up mangling together bits of the various
sections.

Moreover, I sometimes don't bother, say, putting a space before the
\times, which is still perfectly fine LaTeX, but it means that there
would be no way for Auctex to sensibly see what to do.

At the moment, I do a crazy jumping forward and back, killing and
yanking, but I suspect there's a better way! Before I started hacking
elisp, I was wondering whether there was already a neat way to solve
this sort of problem that I didn't know about?

Many thanks,

Rupert