Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?

From: Chetan
Subject: Re: How to get rid of *GNU Emacs* buffer on start-up?
Date: Sat, 27 Sep 2008 15:48:23 -0700

"B. T. Raven" <nihil@nihilo.net> writes:

... Initial comments deleted.

I wanted to respond to my own message, but I cannot see my message now.
I would like to clarify my earlier post, where I might have appeared
rigid in my choice of keys.

Personally, I havn't had to work with dumb terminal for quite some time,
so I have not had to use the C-n C-p etc. keys for movement. I generally
use the arrow keys instead. I don't use CUA mode, either. Nor do I use
the menubar or toolbar. However, I felt that for users new to Emacs,
being able to use the familiar keys will be a good thing to break the
inertia. I remember I fumbled with emacs years ago, until I decided to
invest the time in taking the tutorial, which did help. Once the
fingers got used to the keystrokes, it wasn't an issue. One of the
things I have found is that people, especially the power users, get very
upset if changes are made that affect their own setup that they have
spent time optimizing, even if the changes may be appreciated by them in
the long run.

I don't claim to be a UI expert. What matters to me is whether it will
help me or someone else work better. Until I see that, I am reluctant to
change the way I do things. I am sure the same situation exists with
respect to the alternatives to the qwerty keyboard layout. Many people
claim that there are better layouts and yet the majority of keyboards
shipped today use that layout. Familiarity seems to have a value. If
somebody manages to convince me, I might change, but that hasn't
happened so far. There may also be situation beyond my control which
forces me to change (my keyboard or my key choices).

> Btw, I notice that you haven't been gracious enough to thank Chetan for
> providing a general solution to your difficulties. Why is that?

Thank you. I couldn't locate my message now and was wondering if it did
go out. Now I know. Honestly, though, it wasn't all my work.

Chetan