Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections

From: Nikolaj Schumacher
Subject: Re: split screen horizontally into three equally spaced sections
Date: Sat, 11 Oct 2008 14:57:22 +0200

"Lennart Borgman" <lennart.borgman@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think you deliberately are trying to hide my point ;-)
>
> Yes, you are right in a sense, but my point is that you reduce
> complexity by binding things together. When you bundle elisp libraries
> you know which versions are included and thus reduce complexity since
> the version dimension is fixed.

No no, I agreed with your point.  :) It absolutely reduces complexity.
But if there are /no/ dependencies between the two packages, that's even
less complex.  Less coupling is always better...

I'm not trying to make a case against bundling dependencies, just
against solving too many problems in the same tool.  I see now that this
is not the case with yours...

> I do not know ECB, but I think you should look a bit closer if you
> think the window management is brain-dead. I think Eric has struggled
> quite a lot with the somewhat limited window management capabilities
> that are available currently in Emacs.

I have actually looked quite closely at ECB in order to remove the
window management[1].  It's certainly powerful and has some capabilities
that would suit Emacs well.  I call it "brain-dead", because it
completely takes over and breaks any other window management code.  (It's
as much a personal opinion as calling the method browser excellent)

I have the highest respect for Eric and love his work on Semantic.  I'm
not aware if he has also done significant work on ECB.  But whoever did
made some bad design choices IMHO.

As far as helping out goes, my time is already thinly spread.  There are
many things I think are needed, but only so many I can work on at a
time... So I'm happy about your winsav, because it will save me time[2].  I
have a genuine interest in having it usable outside of nxhmtl.

regards,
Nikolaj Schumacher

[1]: I've succeeded in simulating the ECB window management to the ECB
method browser.  It wasn't pretty.

[2]: http://nschum.de/src/emacs/split-root/ was born out of the same
need, but is less complete.