Re: learning Emacs Lisp

From: Tassilo Horn
Subject: Re: learning Emacs Lisp
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 2008 20:22:44 +0100

Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> writes:

Hi Richard,

> [...] but Xah Lee is an excellent resource with carefully argued
> points and practical approach to, amongst other things, eLisp usage.

This is a joke, isn't it?

When learning a language it's better to take a look at polished code
that uses this language's idioms.  Xah's on a crusade against even the
most basic stuff like correct indentation...

The best resources for elisp are

  (info "(eintr)Top")

and

  (info "(elisp)Top")

together with the online help (`C-h ?').  All of these are included in
emacs.

And of course, you learn a language best by speaking/programming in it.
But Drew already said that.

Ah, and there's this (and other emacs related newsgroups) + #emacs on
freenode where you can ask your questions.

Bye,
Tassilo
--
A child of five could understand this! Fetch me a child of five!