Re: learning Emacs Lisp

From: Niels Giesen
Subject: Re: learning Emacs Lisp
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 19:58:35 +0100

Reply to all

First of all I'd like to say I do not think Xah's tutorial is in the
category of texts I described. It is a fine introduction and teaches
by example, by explaining in plain English the set goals and in Lisp
the ways to achieve. The link to his tutorial is fine with me.

Xah get's it right /not/ to draw on knowledge of other languages and
it is no use advertising his tutorial as being suitable for average
C&c programmers (which it sure may be, but other people can be scared
away from it precisely because of that). Which is what I read in
Richards post, but I may be reading too much between the lines there.

I might have read the original message by Richard better, and admit
having jumped at the 'average C/C++ programmer' bit. This comes from
my perceived habit of writers assuming working knowledge in Y, and not
properly advertising it as 'X for Yniks', while all the reader wants
is to learn X. I thought this was such a case. Apparently not.