Re: learning Emacs Lisp

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: learning Emacs Lisp
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 12:17:09 +0100

On Tue, Nov 11, 2008 at 12:04, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@googlemail.com> wrote:

> I like the
>
> if(f){
>        /**/
> }else{
>        /**/
> }
>
> K&R style.

I like it too, more or less, but the equivalent in Pascal is quite ugly IMO.

But, as you say, that's K&R style, so it is widely known. Of course
indentation styles are conventions; we find them ugly or beautiful,
mostly, out of familiarity. And in the Lisp family of languages,
aligned brackets are unusual, except in very deeply indented code; and
even so, it's often not that brackets are aligned, as that a bunch of
them are moved to the next line to avoid having too many closing
parenthesis put together.

> Still, one man's meat is another man's poison.

Sure.

  Juanma