adding a string to every element in a list

From: Matt Price
Subject: adding a string to every element in a list
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 00:51:15 -0500

hi,

it's not obvious to me how i would do something as simple as iterating
through the elements of a list, modifying each element in hte same way.
so in python i would have a list:

mylist = ["a" "silly" "list"]
for element in mylist:
        element += ADD
and the new list would be ["aADD" "sillyADD" "listADD"]

i'm making a list of vcards from a string containing many vcards:
(let
((matches (split-string (shell-command-to-string
                 (concat "/home/matt/mutt-eds-query "  namestring))
"^END:VCARD" t)))))
but unfortunately i need to retain the seperator string, so i want to
iterate over each element of the list, changing each element.  i have no
doubt this is trivial in lisp, but my documentation searches always take
me back to cons, car, and cdr, which don't seem like the easiest tools
for this task, though maybe it's just that i don't really understan
recursion...

thanks again,
matt

--