How to get my mail back from RMAIL

From: John Velman
Subject: How to get my mail back from RMAIL
Date: Tue, 06 Jan 2009 16:43:55 GMT

After all these years I decided to try emacs again -- I never used it
much, have been using Vim (and now on Mac mac_vim).
I've managed by stupid clicking to put everything from my mail spool
into my mail folder in a format only readable by emacs (apparently).
Details below:
While moving around in my newly installed (from disk image)  NS9.3-rc3
Emacs,I did something stupid.  I clicked on "Read Mail (with RMAIL)" on the
tools menu.  Of course I got what appears to be the whole mail spool  in
one emacs window.   In a panic, I killed emacs.  Now my mail spool is
empty.  I  tend to leave things that aren't from particular mailing lists
in my mail spool until I can deal with them -- probably a bad idea, I can
see now.  In my mail file I have files named "from" and "saved" that
appear to have been put there by emacs,  and are only readable by emacs.
(But not in a pleasant format).
OK ,

1),  how can I get my mail back in a format readable by Mutt, for
example -- they are too hard to deal with in the "saved" file format, and
 2)  Is there a mail "option" for emacs that gives me a list of "from
.. subject" and allows me to save things in different places in plain
text format --  I.e.,  I want something like the Mutt interface :-)
Or shall I give up on emacs mail and go back to Mutt?

Thanks,

John Velman